A mechanism that is hundreds of years old, ready for action
The first wood saw mill was built around 1643 and after a fire largely destroyed in 1773. Some years later the mill was rebuilt by the new owner.
For the past centuries various timber merchants owned De Salamander. At the end of the 19th century the mill underwent modernisation and became four saw-frames. A steam machine was installed to keep the mill operating during calm weather.
In 1953 the Salamander was closed down. Decay set in and through the years the mill deteriorated visibly.
Dismantled with care
Once a symbol of power and industrialisation, after many years a ruined, dry rot infected memory of past times. Demolition seemed inevitable. But demolition was not implemented. Monument authorities demanded that the demolition should be effected by an official mill maker, which was expensive.
In 1985 things changed. "Stichting Opbouw De Salamander" was responsible for careful dismantling of the mill. The cap was lifted with caution and packed with care. Beams were numbered, listed and catalogued. The frame was taken away bit by bit and separately stored in a dry and wind free place.
Result according to traditional methods
Thanks to subsidies by the local authorities, companies and friends De Salamander got a new life. The mill was rebuilt in 1989 nearer to the river bank in the old beam hole. The rebuilding and completion was very complex and finally on 25 October 1995 the sawmill could cut lumber on the old traditional way again. At the mill wood is sawn in rough planks for wood floors, furniture, ship restoration, etc. Ask the miller, he can tell you more.
Preserved with pride and enthusiasm
Sawmill De Salamander plays an important role in the history of Leidschendam and for a major part defines the appearance of the old Leidschendam centre near the Vliet canal. It is unique in its type and surely a monument to be proud of. Thanks to the support of enthusiast volunteers, sponsors and government ' Stichting De Salamander' maintains the mill.
Visiting address De Salamander:
De Wiek 19 2265 VK Leidschendam
Phone: +31 (0)70 - 320 41 68
Admission and opening times De Salamander:
Wednesday and Saturday from 14.00 - 16.00 and by appointment for groups
Entrance for guided tour is free, but your donation is welcome!